Monday, July 1, 2013

Recipes at your Fingertips

As I was driving to work this morning, I heard an interview with a chef on the radio.  Unfortunately, I didn't catch his name, but he said, "Who would have thought that we would be getting recipes from our phones?" Cookbooks are still a necessity in the kitchen, but for many it is not their first recipe resource.  For my generation, we take for granted the ability to do a Google search, check out an app, or text a friend to instantly have a recipe at our fingertips. The following recipes, Chicken Tortilla Soup, Breakfast Turkey Sausage and Caesar Dressing were all outcomes of exactly that scenario. Together, let us take a moment to appreciate this technological gift. (Insert Moment) OK, now time to cook.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

We had a strangely cool and rainy day in June for Northern Cali so I decided to make a Chicken Tortilla soup, which I have never made before. Many of my friends have their "go to" recipe but unfortunately did not have them on hand so I was forced to start my own search.  When looking at the recipe, I realized I didn't have a few of the ingredients but as with most recipes I either substitute or skip. Even with a few skips, the recipe was delicious.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/

For this recipe...

  1. Skipped the can of Ro-tel with green chilies, tomato paste or cornmeal. Next time, I will add these ingredients as I am sure it would enhance the flavor. Added Tapatio for additional spice. 
  2. Instead of slicing the tortilla strips into the soup, my husband makes great crispy tortilla strips out of leftover tortillas, so we used those.
  3. Instead of sour cream for the garnish, I used plain Greek yogurt. Keep this in mind for other recipes, it's a good trick. 

BREAKFAST TURKEY SAUSAGE

For a couple of months, I was eating a homemade breakfast sandwich everyday during the week and am thinking about bringing it back. These are high in protein and have great flavor, my criteria in a sausage.  What works best for me is after these are made, throw 5 in a zip loc bag and freeze.  At the beginning of the week, take one bag out and throw in the fridge.  

http://divascancook.com/2012/08/turkey-breakfast-sausage-patties-recipe.html .

Homemade Breakfast Sandwich - less than 200 calories and less than 5 minutes to make.

  1. Toast half a Thomas Bagel thin
  2. Scramble an egg in the microwave(Genius... See how to here.), 
  3. Heat up one of these breakfast turkey sausages. 
  4. Top it with Tapatio 

CAESAR DRESSING

About a year ago, my husband asked me to find a Caesar dressing recipe.  Caesar dressing can be hit and miss when ordering at restaurants, especially since we don't like anchovies. And at home, I always feel like salad dressings really aren't that difficult to make and they can last for a couple of meals.   So I took on the request and found this great recipe from Chow.com.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/493669
  1. First, I try to mix half mayo and half plain greek yogurt.  
  2. Skip the parmesan cheese. I grate it on top instead. 
  3. Skip the olive oil. For us, it just tastes better without.
Disclaimer: My apologies for the lack of images here as when I make the dishes, my excitement overwhelms me and I am halfway through when I remember to take a picture. Those aren't great pictures, trust me.  So if anyone makes one of these recipes and would like to share a great pic, email me at noragillihan@gmail.com and I will update the post.  Also, please always feel free to comment if you have any adaptations of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment