Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Working Towards the Uncomfortable

During a recent 5 mile training run, I approached a hill about halfway through. This was my long run of the week so 5 miles was a  bit of a push as it was.  So as I encountered this hill, I immediately said to myself, "If I poop out, that's OK." Why? Why would I give myself that out? Why give myself permission to quit?  Starting up the hill, the worst thing that could happen, of course happened, I started feeling nauseous. That's right... I'm about to hurl. I again hear those thoughts of "I am going to throw up, it's OK to stop." But was it and why? Here were my options, What would you do?

Option #1) I could stop. Walk up the rest of the hill until my nausea goes away. Return to running and run the rest of the way home. Feel good about my run but bothered that I can't run the entire distance as originally planned. Again, feel good but entirely let down.

Option #2) Push harder through the nausea and not stop until I get home. As soon as I get home, puke. Have lingering nausea throughout the rest of my day.  My 5 mile goal would be accomplished but my precious day off would be ruined by being slow, tired and sluggish.

Option #3) Slow down, find a steady yet turtle-like pace to get me up the hill. Push through my comfort zone and about 10 yards up the hill, find my stride and  enter into a whole new zone. An exhilarated, accomplished, empowered zone where I feel I could conquer the world and run another hill, 10 hills or even another 10 miles. Feel so great the rest of the day with lots of energy, confidence and pride for completing my goal.
I chose Option #3. I didn't stop, I slowed down, but I did not stop.

There are many terms or phrases for this sort of thing but the one I heard recently by my awesome spin instructor Abbie was "working towards the uncomfortable." This phrase truly speaks to me as when we are challenging ourselves we are putting the work into that intention. Work is associated for me with reward, success, pride and accomplishment.  And there is no better sensation than feeling all of those in one sweet moment.

Here are a few ideas to incorporate "working towards the uncomfortable" into your daily life...


1) Eating with a different hand, sitting in a different place at the table, or my favorite taking a new or different route to/from work are all ways to engage your brain and are called "Neurobics" according to this article in the Wall Street Journal.

TRX at BHFC
2) Group classes are an excellent way to workout longer than you normally would, try new exercises, move in a different way all the while being motivated by an instructor who will support you with form and safety. If you don't belong to a gym, go 5 minutes longer on your regular workouts at least once, maybe twice a week. Try a new exercise such as Yoga, TRX, U-Jam, Pilates, etc.  There are so many great apps and DVD's out there that you can do a lot from your own home.  Also, workout with a buddy instead of on your own.

3) Try a new recipe.  We get in such ruts with what we cook week in and week out. Try one new recipe a week. Who knows, you and your family may have a new favorite dish? I love Eating Well for their healthy and easy recipes. Here is one I plan on trying, Rhubarb Waffles.

4) Weight Loss. Many of us think we cannot live without our __________. Fill in the blank.  Chances are you honestly haven't truly tried to live without that chocolate, ice cream, diet coke, cupcake, cookie, etc.  Try eliminating that one favorite thing just for a week and replacing it with a new healthier option.. This is surely working towards the uncomfortable.

5) Have a long lost friend you haven't chatted with in awhile? Maybe you feel like too much time has passed or she/he won't want to hear from you. Call, Email, or Text them.

By trying one of the above suggestions or an idea of your own you may find yourself building confidence, expanding your knowledge, learning to accept new challenges, and building your memory. I see in your future small pushes with tremendous benefits so how will you "Work towards the Uncomfortable?"

No comments:

Post a Comment